New Publication (September 2019)
3rd Intergovernmental Conference (August 2019)
DOSI Attended with a full delegation, disseminating a new policy brief, taking part in discussions and delivering a DOSI side-event.
2nd Intergovernmental Conference (March – April 2019)
Side Events: In support of the second two-week conference, DOSI collaborated in five side events: (https://www.un.org/bbnj/content/side-events)
- 27/03; “Facilitating Capacity Development, Transfer of Marine Technology and Ocean Science in BBNJ” IOC & DOSI. DOSI speaker: Muriel Rabone
- 28/03: “Mare Geneticum and an Ecosystem Approach: Power, Openness and Sharing” IUCN, DOSI, University of Aberdeen. DOSI speaker: Muriel Rabone
- 29/03: “Conservation, Climate Change and Ocean Biodiversity Beyond National Jurisdiction” Papua New Guinea; Belize, Federated States of Micronesia, DOSI. DOSI speaker: Diva Amon
- 30/03: “PSIDS Regional workshop”: IUCN, Norway, DOSI. DOSI speaker: Harriet Harden-Davies
- 01/04: “The Role of Science and a Scientific Body Under the New Instrument” Canada, High Seas Alliance, DOSI. DOSI speakers: Paul Snelgrove, Harriet Harden-Davies
Some of the members of the DOSI delegation March/April 2019.
Interventions: In total, three DOSI interventions were made: intervention 1; intervention 2, intervention 3
Policy Briefs: Two new policy briefs were published by DOSI in advance of the meeting and have been widely distributed:
- “Access and sharing benefits from marine genetic resources from ABNJ: building on best practices in the scientific community” http://dosi-project.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/027-DOSI-MGR-2-print-2.pdf
- “The Full Value of Marine Genetic Resources”http://dosi-project.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Full-value-mgr-March2019.pdf
A summary of the conference was published on DSM Observer, co-authored by Aria Ritz Finkelstein and Jeffrey Marlow.
1st Intergovernmental Conference (September 2018)
DOSI facilitated scientific and technical input to the development of the BBNJ instrument. As BBNJ issues cut across a number of working group areas, this working group facilitates coordination and engagement across all DOSI-relevant areas. The DOSI delegation to the negotiations was: Harriet Harden-Davies (University of Wollongong), Jeff Marlow (Harvard University), Paul Snelgrove (Memorial University) and Porter Hoagland (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution).
Policy Briefs: DOSI compiled and distributed four policy briefs:
Side Events: Four officially sanctioned side-events were organized and co-organized through DOSI members:
Panelists of the DOSI, UNESCO-IOC, Maldives side event
Conference Report: DOSI’s report on the first intergovernmental conference can be found here.
A summary of the conference was published on DSM observer, authored by Harriet Harden-Davies http://dsmobserver.com/2018/11/all-in-the-same-boat-negotiations-for-biodiversity-beyond-national-jurisdiction-begin/
BBNJ Working Group Workshop, University of Southampton, UK (April 2018)
Science diplomacy for stewardship: advancing science-based policy for biodiversity beyond national jurisdiction through the Deep Ocean Stewardship Initiative (DOSI). Link to Report.
Paul Snelgrove attended BBNJ ICG and presented on behalf of DOSI BBNJ working group during a side-event with the IOC, Belgium and Nauru entitled The potential interlinkages between the UN Ocean Science Decade and scientific aspects in the context of BBNJ in April 2018.
DOSI BBNJ Publications