Task Force Past Activities
- From 28 to 30 November 2023, Anna Metaxas participated in the 3rd Indigenous and local knowledge dialogue workshop for the IPBES Nexus Assessment in Montreal, Canada.
- In November 2023, DOSI’s nomination of Ana Colaço for the CBD’s “Informal Advisory Group for Ecologically or Biologically Significant Marine Areas” was successful. Additionally, she was successfully nominated to participate in the “Technical and legal expert workshops to review modalities for modifying the descriptions of ecologically or biologically significant marine areas and describing new areas” from 20 to 27 November 2023 in Norway. There she presented “The evolving data landscape and implications for EBSAs”.
- In October 2023, Agnes Muthumbi attended the 25th meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice (SBSTTA 25) and the resumed second part of the Fifteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP 15), held in Nairobi, Kenya.
- In October 2023, Task Force leads, Anna Metaxas and Diva Amon discussed potential working group collaborations on high-sea ABMTs with BBNJ WG leads, Harriet Harden-Davies and Christine Gaebel.
- In September and October 2023, two workshops, one virtual and one hybrid, were held for the project “Beyond the status quo: defining and enabling a sustainable deep-ocean blue economy”. With leadership and participation from DOSI, alongside SpeSeas, the Benioff Ocean Science Laboratory, and the Nippon Foundation-University of Edinburgh Ocean Voices Programme, as well as financial support from The National Geographic Society, this project aims to create a new status quo and accelerate stewardship of the deep ocean by guiding the emerging deep-ocean Blue Economy into one that is truly equitable and sustainable. Twenty-one experts from 13 countries participated.