Past Activities (in reverse chronological order):
- July 2019: DOSI delegation attended the ISA 25th Session, presenting two new policy briefs and contributing to a scientific side event. Policy briefs: Diving deep into biodiversity & Climate Change Considerations are Fundamental to Sustainable Management of Deep-Seabed Mining.
DOSI Delegation to ISA July 2019
- Early career scientists Maila Guilhon (Brazil) and Sergio Cambronero (Costa Rica) were also welcomed as part of the DOSI delegation.
- June 2019: Climate change and deep seabed mining workshop, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, USA (June 2019) contributed to climate change and mining policy brief.
- May 2019: DOSI Minerals WG members submitted a Commentary on the Draft High Level Action Plan and Priorities and the Report of the Secretary-General on the Implementation of the Strategic Plan for the International Seabed Authority: Draft Performance Indicators for the 2019-2023 Period issued earlier this year. The list of the contributors is presented at the end of the document.
Early career scientists Maila Guilhon (Brazil) and Sergio Cambronero (Costa Rica) representing DOSI at ISA
- February 2019: A DOSI delegation attended ISA 25th Session and delivered a well-attended side-event entitled: New scientific knowledge to guide the environmental management and regulatory framework for deep-sea mining. DOSI also made 4 interventions during the session. The DOSI observer team was Jeff Drazden, Aline Jaeckel, Verena Tunnicliffe, Philip Turner, Jessie Perelman and Diva Amon.
DOSI Delegation ISA 24th Session, July 2018
- April 2018: DOSI Minerals WG sub-group submitted commentary to ISA on their DRAFT Strategic Plan (ISBA/23/A/13), April 2018. Comments from DOSI.
- March 2018: DOSI attendance as observers during the 24th ISA Session, March 5-9 2018.
DOSI Observers during 24th Session, March 2018. Photo by IISD/ENB | Francis Dejon
- DOSI attendance at workshop on draft exploitation regulations: policy, legal and institutional considerations in advance of the March ISA council session. 12-13 Feb 2018, The Royal Society, London. Convened by UK FCO and ISA. Report to follow.
- DOSI response to ISA stakeholder request for input to Draft Regulations on Exploitation of Mineral Resources in the Area. Link to document. DOSI Comments. Other scientist communications pertaining to seabed mining..
- DOSI represented at the JPI Oceans “Ecological aspects of deep-sea mining” meeting (Oct 2017). Report.
- DOSI invited to attend ISA Workshop on the Design and Monitoring of Impact Reference Zones and Preservation Reference Zones, Berlin (27-29 Sept 2017). DOSI Report.
- DOSI represented and poster presented (Lenaick Menot) at the Underwater Mining Institute annual meeting, Berlin (Sept 2017)
- DOSI sponsored a side-event at the 23rd Annual Session of the ISA that was attended by 140 Delegates, Contractors, Observers and staff. Kristina Gjerde introduced presentations by Lisa Levin, Verena Tunnicliffe and Judith Gobin; Amber Cobley and Torsten Thiele aided coordination. Kingston, Jamaica (10 Aug 2017).
- DOSI was represented by WG member, Hannah Lily (Commonwealth Secretariat, London) during the Deep-Sea Mining Summit, London, UK (May 2017).
- DOSI Minerals WG produced an opinion piece for The Environmental Forum of the Environmental Law Institute (May 2017) – Link to article.
- DOSI representatives presented our EREGS work at a workshop: Towards an ISA Environmental Management Strategy for the Area, jointly organized by the German Environment Agency (UBA), the Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR) and the ISA and supported by the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies Potsdam (IASS). Berlin, Germany (March 2017) – Link to synopsis.
- The Discussion Paper on the Draft Regulations for Mineral Resources in the Area (Environmental Matters) can be found on the ISA website. Members of the Minerals WG met for the EREGS workshop to examine the documents. San Diego, USA (January 2017). The workshop participants produced a Letter to the ISA and a Synopsis – Link to letter, Link to synopsis.
- DOSI response to ISA draft exploitation regulations (ISBA/Cons/2016/1) (October 2016) – Link to review.
- DOSI response to ISA review (Article 154 UNCLOS) (October 2016) – Link to review.
- DOSI publication: Levin et al. (2016) Defining “Serious Harm” to the Marine Environment in the Context of Deep-Seabed Mining. Marine Policy, pp. 245-259 (October 2016) – Link to paper.
- Workshop on Enhancing Stakeholder Participation and Transparency in the ISA Process. Ocho Rios, Jamaica (July 2016) – Link to report.
- DOSI awarded Observer Status at the International Seabed Authority. Kingston, Jamaica (July 2016) – Link to blog.
- DOSI members contribute to Griffith Law School and the International Seabed Authority Workshop on Environmental Assessment and Management for Exploitation of Minerals in the Area. Queensland, Australia (May 2016) – Link to report.
- DOSI response to the International Seabed Authority document: “Developing a Regulatory Framework for Mineral Exploitation in the Area – a draft framework”. Report to stakeholders (ISBA/Cons/2015/1) (May 2015) – Link to review.
- DOSI Minerals WG Past Activities Listing.