Marine Genetic Resources Participation Reports
- Marcel Jaspars Presented ‘DSI – Scope and Concept’ to 5th EU – China Biodiversity Workshop ABS & DSI plurilateral liaison group Virtual Meeting 20 Jan 2021
- Marcel Jaspars Below the Blue; Exploring the Caribbean Deep and Harnessing its Benefits Virtual Distinguished Lecture and Panel Discussion – Trinidad and Tobago 8 June 2021
- Marcel Jaspars One Ocean Hub: Cultivating Responsible Research and Innovation in Marine Biodiscovery, South Africa 3 Aug 2021
Ocean Literacy / Engagement
- A number of the working group contributed to a UK Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (POST) research briefing on Digital Sequence Information, which summarises the challenges of governance of genetic resources and the possible options for addressing them.
- High Seas Treaty Dialogue on Marine Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing (January 2020 – Norway). Harriet Harden-Davies was invited to discuss one of the most challenging issues to date in the BBNJ negotiations.
- Meeting: Towards a package: marine biodiversity beyond national jurisdiction (January 2020, Edinburgh). DOSI co-sponsored (along with University of Aberdeen and the Atlas Project) a gathering of more than 50 participants to discuss the development of BBNJ. The participants included policymakers, diplomats, civil society and academic experts from legal, scientific and other backgrounds. With the fourth (and possibly final) round of negotiations fast approaching, this workshop provided a valuable opportunity to exchange views and identify areas where further discussions are needed. In addition to the workshop, a public event and reception was held at the Royal Society of Edinburgh on the evening of 22 January.
- Marcel Jaspars “The Future of Marine Biotechnology” at the 2020 Marine Bio Forum “A new vision and strategy of marine biotechnology” MABIK, Korea, 29 Dec 2020
- Marcel Jaspars Panel Member at EU DG-MARE meeting “Discussion forum on Marine Genetic Resources from Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction”, Brussels, 29 Oct 2020 (virtual)
- Marcel Jaspars Panel Member at “Consultations with scientists and traditional knowledge holders: marine genetic resources governance in international legally binding instrument to foster conservation and sustainable use of the biodiversity in areas beyond national jurisdiction” Harvard University 20 and 30 November 2020 (virtual)
- Marcel Jaspars MGR and Traceability – presentation delivered at the 4th Brazilian Conference on the Law of the Sea – 26 November 2020 (Virtual)
- Marcel Jaspars Presented ‘DSI – Scope, Concept and Current Use” at “Process and recent outcomes related to digital sequence information on genetic resources under the CBD” webinar organized by the UN-CBD on 9 Dec 2020.
Prior to 2019
- Workshop funded by DOSI and the University of Aberdeen, Scotland: Marine Genetic Resources in the BBNJ process – Building Bridges, University of Aberdeen, June 2018. Workshop report.
- Link to Marcel Jaspers work (University of Aberdeen) on BBNJ (DOSI WG Co-Lead)
- Attendance at 3rd & 4th PrepComms for BBNJ process (2017).
- Participation of WG members in PharmaSea EU project WP6 survey on the legal and policy bottlenecks relevant to the sampling and utilization of marine biological resources.
- Attended 2nd BBNJ process PrepComm (August/September 2016) with DOSI submission entitled: Considerations regarding deep-sea marine scientific research in areas beyond national jurisdiction. A DOSI Policy Brief was also submitted to this meeting entitled: Climate Change in Oceans Beyond National Jurisdiction.
- Conducted a Survey on priorities for facilitating marine scientific research relating to DSGR in ABNJ. Submitted letter and summary of survey results to 1st Preparatory Committee meeting for the BBNJ process (23rd March 2016). DOSI.DSGR_DiscussionPaper (March 2016).
- Promoted engagement between deep-sea biology community and the UN process for conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity beyond national jurisdiction, in relation to access and benefit sharing of marine genetic resources. Including: Sign-on letter for facilitating research for MGR ABNJ (Jan 2016)
- Produced briefing paper discussing DSGR as part of ABNJ: how to protect biological life and facilitate scientific research? (Nov 2015)
- Workshop (September 2015, Aveiro, Portugal) to discuss possible roles for the deep-sea biological community in addressing challenges for accessing and sharing benefits from DSGR in ABNJ